One of the biggest struggles in being vegan is probably family get together where you have to awkwardly just eat vegetables because there is no vegan options available. This is an easy vegan Easter dinner that you will be able to prepare before the get together. You will be able to show your family how good vegan meals actually can be. This recipe will include caramelized carrots, mashed potatoes w/ gravy, and a green bean/ cauliflower/broccoli stir fry. Looking at the ingredients may be a bit overwhelming. Although, the list may look large, many of these ingredients are already in your kitchen. They are very basic vegan staple foods that you will probably easily find.
Ingredients that you will need:
- Edward Son Organic Mashed Potatoes [..buy here..]
- Coconut milk (any dairy free milk will work)
- Earth balance vegan butter
- Browning sauce
- Not Chik’n Bouillon [..buy here..]
- Frozen or fresh green beans
- Broccoli and Cauliflower (finely chopped)
- Soy Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Spices; red pepper, ground black pepper, garlic powder.
- You will start off by making sure that your carrots are cleaned off and washed. [[Note: I prefer to make my carrots in a crock pot just to secure all of the flavor. However, if you are waiting last minute to make your dinner you can make them on a stove top or in the oven.]] Put the carrots in the crock pot or desired cooking method and then add; brown sugar, soy sauce, dash of red pepper, garlic powder.
- You then just stir every three hours. Although, stirring will help circulate the flavor, this is not a required step. I usually let the carrots cook for about 5-6 hours.
Green Bean / Cauliflower / Broccoli Stir Fry:
- First steam the green beans in the microwave will 1/4 cup water for about 3 minutes. While steaming the green beans in the microwave finely cut up the rest of the ingredients. If you do not wish for them to be cut up so fine you could always leave them whole. If you do decide to leave the Cauliflower and Broccoli whole then i would recommend steaming them as well.
- After, everything is cut up and steaming, begin to heat up oil in a skillet. I would recommend using avocado oil. Add a tiny bit of soy sauce along with brown sugar, garlic powder, and red pepper.
- Let simmer for a while, continue stirring and then you can turn the stove off and enjoy.
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy:
- This is a very simple part. All you do is boil water and add non-dairy milk to the instant mashed potatoes.
- In a separate pan, for gravy, make a vegan chik’n broth. After, the water is boiling scoop some of the broth into a small bowl and whisk 1 cup of flow along with 1 tbsp. of corn starch to thicken the mixture. After everything is boiling then add the browning seasoning.
- Add desired spices. I like to add ground black pepper. Let the mixture begin to breath, while constantly stirring. You want to make sure that you are stirring as much as possible because the gravy will begin to stick to the side.